Thursday, January 12, 2012

You mean Metal Gear

Hello guys

Yesterday I was replaying Metal Gear Solid 4, appreciating the superb gameplay (ando not so superb story), and then I realized that despite my blogger alias, I don't talk much about metal gear here, so now's the time, right?
Well, you know you're getting old when games you played as a teenager are "old" today, that's the case of PSOne's Metal Gear Solid, this wonderful jewel of dramatic story, great characters and awesome voice acting. But that's not the game I'll talk about today. I'll talk about the beggining of everything: Metal Gear for MSX2!


Ok, first I must confess that I not played Metal Gear at the time it was released (1987), I only played it some good 20 years after, in the PS2 port (with Metal Gear 3 Subsistence) and later in a MSX2 emulator. One can think that playing an ancient game today can be a frustrating, but truth is, Metal Gear is awesome, even today!
Considered the "father" of stealth games, the gameplay had all essencial characteristics we saw in today's sequels: require strategy, tactic  and smart thinking, creative use of itens, such as the signature cardboard box... it's everything there for the "new" fans.

"I FEEL ASLEEP (sic)"

Another thing worth saying: its a hard game. along the mission infiltrating Outer Heaven, you'll die plenty and in lots of different ways, and the more you get close to the end, your faithful mentor Big Boss will start to have certains... slips of memory, codec-guiding the rookie agent Solid Snake to traps such as electrified floors (sound familiar?) and enemy ambushes.
So, you'll have to make maximum use of the various weapons and itens found along the way to sucessful infiltrate Outer heaven, avoiding enemy sentries, surveillance cameras, claymore mines... it's all there. So the game is highly reccomended, for fans or whatnot. But if you can, find a complete fan translation, or play the MGS3 susbsistence version, because the original english version has a very incomplete and sloppy translation, with errors and omissions.

Big Boss rapes the 4th wall 

Before Metal Gear Solid, there's still two alternative sequels. MSX2'S Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (the "official" one) and NES's Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge (devloped by a konami team without the participation of Hideo Kojima).

So, anyone of you played the old Metal gear Games? What's your opinion about them? comment!

22 comments:

  1. Like you, I only played this when it was bundled with MGS3. It was a brilliant game for it's time.

    The MGS series has always been one of my favourites. Psycho Mantis is perhaps the best boss battle ever.

    "Nooooooooo! I can't read you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the retro games and comparing how what looked "advanced" then compares to "advanced" now and how quickly those leaps are being made. One thing I don't miss is dying twice every hour and having to go back and start over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the old Metal Gear games, they were actually hard and not some easy to beat piece of crap like you get today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even knew they existed! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Boss rapes the 4th wall

    Thats the best line ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the challenge, although i'm from the metal gear solid generation myself, I have to say the old ones also bring great flavor and a bit of metal gear history that you only read about or have referenced in the new ones. You really have to play them if your a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo never played the real old ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've played this in a emulator. Is this starting at Zanzibar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never could played at ant MGS. Too stressful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this. :')

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this game series. Unfortunately I played all the newer games first so it's hard to get into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has convinced me to go find this game and give it a go! My metal gear story started with the ps1, plugging the controller into port 2 for the boss fight.. genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that game, used to love it<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This game does seem pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't get past the second dog in the first Metal Gear, so I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This game is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. whoa, two dimensional metal gear. I guess most classics started out two dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got this game!!!!!!!!!!!!! was playing it like a month ago showing my pal how insanly hard it was from like the 2nd screen when you have to get past a bunch of dogs and how its even got the little codec thing when u press select ^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have always been a huge metal gear solid fan! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm afraid I haven't. Only experience I have with this franchise is MGS3.

    ReplyDelete